Zohar Pinchas, Vol. 20 (English)/Vol 15 (Hebrew)
“וּבֶעָשׂוֹר לַחֹדֶשׁ הַשְּׁבִיעִי הַזֶּה, מִקְרָא-קֹדֶשׁ יִהְיֶה לָכֶם, וְעִנִּיתֶם, אֶת-נַפְשֹׁתֵיכֶם; כָּל-מְלָאכָה, לֹא תַעֲשׂוּ. ”
“And on the tenth day of this seventh month ye shall have a holy convocation; and ye shall afflict your souls; ye shall do no manner of work ”
On the tenth day of the seventh month, which is Tishrei (Libra) we have Yom Kippur. It is the holiest day of the year that is dedicated for spiritual connection with 5 prayers.
On this day we refrain from work to keep it holy because work is the aspect of the Tree of Knowledge good and bad. On this day the Tree of Life that is all good is in control and the negative side cannot hold to that high light. We follow five restrictions related to eating and drinking, wearing leather (shoes), physical cleaning, using oil and perfumes and sex.
The aspect of 5 is always about the vessel.
- The Five Sefirot of Chessed, Gevurah, Tiferet, Netzach and Hod define the vessel. Yessod is the ‘pipe’ that channels the light from the vessel to Malchut.
- The five books of the Torah are the vessel and conduit of Light to the world.
- The word for soul ‘נפש’ appears 5 times in the instruction about Yom Kippur in the Torah.
- The five senses that connect the soul to the material world
- The five prayers of Yom Kippur
- The Five time that the High Priest goes to the Mikveh to cleanse himself during the service of Yom Kippur.
Before we start the first prayer of Yom Kippurwe make a special connection called ‘Kol Nidrei’ to nullify all vows from us and the world. With that action we disconnect from all kinds of vessels that the negative side may have hold on, and enter into the holy day with purity.
The Zohar reveals to us that a full and proper connection on Yom Kippur helps us cling to the Tree of Life and remove any hold or influence that the other side may have on us.
Additional and recommended reading:
Daily Zohar # 1199 – Chew Satan away
Preparing for the fast of Yom Kippur and water meditation