Daily Zohar # 1736 – Yitro – Listen to the signs
29. רַבִּי אַבָּא אָמַר, בְּכַמָּה מְקוֹמוֹת שָׁנִינוּ, שֶׁכָּל מַה שֶּׁעָשָׂה הַקָּדוֹשׁ בָּרוּךְ הוּא לְמַעְלָה וּלְמַטָּה – הַכֹּל אֱמֶת וּמַעֲשֵׂה אֱמֶת. וְאֵין לְךָ דָּבָר בָּעוֹלָם שֶׁצָּרִיךְ אָדָם לִדְחוֹתוֹ וְלִנְהֹג בּוֹ קָלוֹן, שֶׁהֲרֵי כֻּלָּם מַעֲשֵׂי אֱמֶת הֵם, וְהַכֹּל צָרִיךְ בָּעוֹלָם.
30. שֶׁהֲרֵי פַּעַם אַחַת הָיָה רַבִּי אֶלְעָזָר הוֹלֵךְ בַּדֶּרֶךְ, וְהָיָה הוֹלֵךְ עִמּוֹ רַבִּי חִזְקִיָּה. רָאוּ נָחָשׁ אֶחָד. קָם רַבִּי חִזְקִיָּה לַהֲרֹג אוֹתוֹ. אָמַר לוֹ רַבִּי אֶלְעָזָר, עֲזֹב אוֹתוֹ, אַל תַּהֲרֹג אוֹתוֹ. אָמַר לוֹ, וַהֲרֵי הוּא דָּבָר רַע שֶׁהוֹרֵג בְּנֵי אָדָם. אָמַר לוֹ לְרַבִּי חִזְקִיָּה, וַהֲרֵי כָּתוּב (קהלת י) אִם יִשֹּׁךְ הַנָּחָשׁ בְּלוֹא לָחַשׁ. לֹא נוֹשֵׁךְ הַנָּחָשׁ אֶת הָאָדָם עַד שֶׁלּוֹחֲשִׁים לוֹ מִלְמַעְלָה וְאוֹמְרִים לוֹ לֵךְ הֲרֹג אֶת פְּלוֹנִי.
“וַיִּשְׁמַע יִתְרוֹ כֹהֵן מִדְיָן”
“Jethro, the priest of Midian, Moses’ father-in-law, heard ….”
The other nations of the world heard what God did to Egypt and how he took the Israelites out from slavery to freedom but did nothing like Jethro.
Exodus 15:14 (From שירת הים , the Song the Sea)
“שָׁמְעוּ עַמִּים, יִרְגָּזוּן; חִיל אָחַז, יֹשְׁבֵי פְּלָשֶׁת”
“The peoples have heard, they tremble; Anguish has gripped the inhabitants of Philistia.”
The difference between Jethro and the rest of the world is that Jethro heard about the miracles of YHVH, broke his connection to the other side and came to God and Moses.
Rabbi Abba explains that everything that God does has a perfect reason. There’s nothing unnecessary in the world. He tells a story about Rabbi Hizkiah and Rabbi Elazar that while they were walking they saw a snake. Rabbi Hizkiah wanted to kill the snake because snake kills people but Rabbi Elazar stopped him explaining that the snake doesn’t kill anyone until he is told specifically which person to kill.
“אִם-יִשֹּׁךְ הַנָּחָשׁ, בְּלוֹא-לָחַשׁ”
“If the snake bites before being told”
The Zohar brings the story of the snake immediately after ‘Jethro heard’ to teach us an important spiritual principle. When we see, hear or experience a sign that comes from God then we should follow it.
Since we are govern by the system of the Tree of Knowledge Good and Bad and experience this world with the five senses that can easily mislead us, we should be careful when reading ‘signs’.
We can immunize ourselves from receiving false signs by following several important steps.
- – Connecting to the Zohar with complete faith and trust in God (Read DZ 1715 https://dailyzohar.com/daily-zohar-1715/), Proverbs 3:5,6 “Trust in YHVH with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.”
With that we can achieve higher level of messages through dreams, visions and other ‘messengers’. The Zohar purifies our spiritual channels.
- – Protect your eyes from looking at negativity. Avoid looking at anything with jealous eyes. It corrupts the channel and in most case the signs that you see will most probably lead to a negative outcome. Avoid TV stories and news about crimes.
- – Speak only truth and you will hear only truth. If you gossip a lot or curse others then don’t trust verbal messages. Same with listening to gossip.
Avoid negative people and environments. If the the place is already negative then nothing good comes out it. If you find yourself in such a place the message is to run away quickly (read previous DZ).
- – Disconnect from the desire for the self-alone.
Trust messages that lead to positive outcome, where there is work to do. Jethro had to go through a process, breaking his connections as a priest of the other side before going to Moses.
If it’s easy to do and no obstacles on the path then it’s from the other side and the outcome could be negative sooner or later.
Remember that the negative side won’t give you ‘trouble’ following the wrong path.