Daily Zohar # 1399 – Bo – 10 Plagues Part 2
7. וּכְשֶׁלֹּא נִמְצָאִים הַמַּעֲשִׂים שֶׁל יִשְׂרָאֵל כָּרָאוּי, כִּבְיָכוֹל אוֹתָם שְׁלוּחִים מְמֻנִּים, כְּשֶׁרוֹצִים לַעֲמֹד עַל אוֹתָם מַעֲשִׂים שֶׁל יִשְׂרָאֵל, הֵם עוֹמְדִים וַדַּאי עַל ה’, שֶׁהֲרֵי כְּשֶׁיִּשְׂרָאֵל עוֹשִׂים מַעֲשִׂים שֶׁלֹּא כְשֵׁרִים, כִּבְיָכוֹל מְתִשִּׁים כֹּחוֹ שֶׁל הַקָּדוֹשׁ בָּרוּךְ הוּא, וּכְשֶׁעוֹשִׂים מַעֲשִׂים כְּשֵׁרִים, נוֹתְנִים כֹּחַ וְתֹקֶף לַקָּדוֹשׁ-בָּרוּךְ-הוּא. וְעַל זֶה כָּתוּב (תהלים סח) תְּנוּ עֹז לֵאלֹהִים. בַּמֶּה? בְּמַעֲשִׂים כְּשֵׁרִים, וְעַל זֶה בְּאוֹתוֹ יוֹם כָּל הַשָּׂרִים הַגְּדוֹלִים הַמְמֻנִּים הִתְכַּנְּסוּ עַל ה’. עַל ה’ וַדַּאי, שֶׁהֲרֵי כֵּיוָן שֶׁהִתְכַּנְּסוּ עַל יִשְׂרָאֵל, הֵם הִתְכַּנְּסוּ עָלָיו.
8. וַיָּבוֹא גַם הַשָּׂטָן בְּתוֹכָם. גַּם – לְרַבּוֹתוֹ עֲלֵיהֶם, שֶׁכֻּלָּם בָּאִים לִהְיוֹת קָטֵגוֹרִים עַל יִשְׂרָאֵל, וְזֶה נוֹסַף עֲלֵיהֶם מִשּׁוּם שֶׁהוּא הַמַּלְשִׁין הַגָּדוֹל מִכֻּלָּם, קָטֵגוֹר מִכֻּלָּם. כֵּיוָן שֶׁרוֹאֶה הַקָּדוֹשׁ בָּרוּךְ הוּא שֶׁכֻּלָּם בָּאִים לְקַטְרֵג, מִיָּד – וַיֹּאמֶר ה’ אֶל הַשָּׂטָן מֵאַיִן תָּבֹא. וְכִי לֹא הָיָה יוֹדֵעַ הַקָּדוֹשׁ בָּרוּךְ הוּא מֵאֵיפֹה הָיָה בָּא? אֶלָּא לְהָבִיא אֶת הַמַּעֲשֶׂה לִרְצוֹנוֹ.
9. וַיֹּאמֶר ה’ אֶל הַשָּׂטָן וְגוֹ’ וַיַּעַן הַשָּׂטָן אֶת ה’ וַיֹּאמַר מִשּׁוּט בָּאָרֶץ. מִכָּאן לָמַדְנוּ שֶׁיִּשּׁוּב הָאָרֶץ נִמְסָר לִצְדָדִים אֲחֵרִים, פְּרָט לְאֶרֶץ יִשְׂרָאֵל לְבַדָּהּ. כֵּיוָן שֶׁאָמַר מִשּׁוּט בָּאָרֶץ, הִשְׁגִּיחַ הַקָּדוֹשׁ בָּרוּךְ הוּא שֶׁרוֹצֶה לִהְיוֹת מַלְשִׁין עַל יִשְׂרָאֵל. מִיָּד – וַיֹּאמֶר ה’ אֶל הַשָּׂטָן הֲשַׂמְתָּ לִבְּךָ עַל עַבְדִּי אִיּוֹב כִּי אֵין כָּמֹהוּ בָּאָרֶץ.
Zohar Portion: Bo 7-9
Previously we discussed God’s revelation to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob that formed the upper triangle. Moshe and Aaron as the top servants of God accepted the task given to them by God and became the chariot for Netzach and Hod. The two are considered as an un-separated pair and the aspect of ‘legs’ of the body. Moses and Aaron did the ‘walk’ and carried the message of God.
They complete the five sefirot that makes the vessel (Chessed, Gevurah, Tiferet, Netzach and Hod). Yessod (Joseph) is the funnel to continue the Light from the vessel to the world, Malchut.
Together with the upper three sefirot of Keter, Chokmah and Binah we have the ‘magic’ eight that bring revelation light all the way to Yessod that is the conduit of the light to Malchut.
The Holy Ari revealed that Zeir Anpin was born (started its revelation in the world) during the process of the ten plagues. That is why God assigned Moshe of 80 years old for the mission to bring this light to the world. We studied from the Torah that Pharaoh was not aware of the spiritual force of יְקוָק. He couldn’t accept any command from a God (YHVH) he was not aware of. Pharaoh was the head of the impure system and the desire for the self. The revelation of Zeir Anpin had to be at the place that is most negative.
The Zohar teaches us, “A little light pushes away a lot of darkness”. Pharaoh suffered because the Light chose to appear where the people of God, the Israelites, can be a channel for it.
The ten plagues are the result of the revelation of the Light of Zeir Anpin. We see how each plague is connected to the level of the Light revealed.
1. Water to Blood – in the water (lower and basic element)
2. Frogs – Lower level creatures connecting water and land
3. Gnats – small and came upon men and animals.
4. Flies – in the air and spread fast everywhere, including people and houses.
5. Livestock Diseased – More significant plague that affect movement (horses, donkeys and camels) and food (cattle and sheep and goats).
6. Boils – caused by the hand of Moshe and spread from the sky throughout the land of Egypt.
7. Thunder and Hail – came from the sky with deadly force.
8. Locusts – Came from an unknown source into the land of Egypt and devoured all that was left after the hail–everything growing in the fields and the fruit on the trees. Nothing green remained on trees or plants in all the land of Egypt.
9. Darkness – A paralyzing darkness on the physical and spiritual level.
10. Death of the Firstborn – That was the final hit. It was the aspect of removing the controlling head of the negative side, disconnecting it from its source.
We see how the strength of the plagues get higher and stronger on each step or breaking the negative side. When the Light appears, darkness must go. This is why Pharaoh had no chance against the awesome light of Zeir Anpin. This light matured later with the revelation on Mount Sinai and the giving of the Torah.
Exodus 13:1 “And YHVH said to Moses, 2 “Consecrate to me every first born male. The first offspring of every womb among the Israelites belongs to me, whether man or animal”.
That was the cost of keeping the first born of the Israelites alive. God took them under his protection and in order to keep them we have to go through the process called “redemption of the first born”. In this process the parents bring their first born child to the Cohen (Priests) to ‘buy’ him back from God. This process is done 40 days after the child is born and in simple calculation we find out that it is on the tenth day after the tenth month from the planting of the seed.
People that have a first born child or if you are a first born, it is never too late to go through the process. Consult your Rabbi. First born means first child out of a woman’s womb. If she first had failed pregnancy then the first born is gone and the ‘payment’ was done. A father can have more than one first born if he gets married more than once.
On a personal level we learn to be responsible for our actions. There is an automated cause and effect system and we must follow its laws. If we have a file with negative records we need to bring the light in and clear it. It may cause us some pain in the process but we will be free after that.
Many people that go back to religion or spirituality, feel that effect and if they are not aware of the laws described above, they may think that the system goes against them if they give up before paying the full payment.
In Isaiah 51:17 we read at the time before the final redemption “הִתְעוֹרְרִי הִתְעוֹרְרִי, קוּמִי יְרוּשָׁלִַם, אֲשֶׁר שָׁתִית מִיַּד יְקוָק, אֶת-כּוֹס חֲמָתוֹ אֶת-קֻבַּעַת כּוֹס הַתַּרְעֵלָה, שָׁתִית–מָצִית”
Awake, awake! Rise up, O Jerusalem, you who have drunk from the hand of YHVH the cup of his wrath, you who have drained to its dregs the goblet that makes men stagger.
The Hebrew words explain better that when we finish paying for our negativity (cleansing by the Light), we will wake up to (Isaiah 51:22) “כֹּה-אָמַר אֲדֹנַיִךְ יְקוָק, וֵאלֹהַיִךְ יָרִיב עַמּוֹ, הִנֵּה לָקַחְתִּי מִיָּדֵךְ, אֶת-כּוֹס הַתַּרְעֵלָה–אֶת-קֻבַּעַת כּוֹס חֲמָתִי, לֹא-תוֹסִיפִי לִשְׁתּוֹתָהּ עוֹד”
(Isaiah 51:22) “This is what your Sovereign YHVH says, your God, who defends his people: “See, I have taken out of your hand the cup that made you stagger; from that cup, the goblet of my wrath, you will never drink again.”
Let us pray for the day that God comes to redeem us again from our ‘Egypt’ state, take away all the pain and suffering from us and reveal Mashiach, Amen.