Daily Zohar # 3147 – Vaetchanan – The Ten Commandments of the Shema Israel
“וְהָיוּ הַדְּבָרִים הָאֵלֶּה אֲשֶׁר אָנֹכִי מְצַוְּךָ הַיּוֹם עַל-לְבָבֶךָ.”
“And these words which I command you today shall be in your hearts.”
To overcome the Evil Inclination, we should always study the Torah and have it in our hearts, so we can easily break the evil-side and stop it from controlling us. The Torah says that we should have the words of Torah in our hearts. The word heart in the plural form to mean the two sides of our heart. The good side gets powered by the Torah and the bad side of the heart gets tamed and surrender to the good.
Rabbi Yehuda says that the good side of a person needs the Torah to have it as protection above his head. When the evil side sees that the person is not connected to the Torah, he goes up and reports judgments on that person as it says in Proverbs 3:35
“כָּבוֹד חֲכָמִים יִנְחָלוּ וּכְסִילִים מֵרִים קָלוֹן.”
“The wise will inherit honor, but fools are held up to shame.”
Rabbi Shimon comes and joins the study. He said that the Shema Israel prayers include ten precepts that are against the Ten Commandments.
- teach them diligently to your children – וְשִׁנַּנְתָּם לְבָנֶיךָ
- and speak of them – וְדִבַּרְתָּ בָּם
- when you sit at home – בְּשִׁבְתְּךָ בְּבֵיתֶךָ
- and when you walk along the road – וּבְלֶכְתְּךָ בַדֶּרֶךְ
- when you lie down – וּבְשָׁכְבְּךָ
- and when you get up – וּבְקוּמֶךָ
- You shall bind them as a sign on your hand – וּקְשַׁרְתָּם לְאוֹת עַל-יָדֶךָ
- and bind them on your foreheads – וְהָיוּ לְטֹטָפֹת בֵּין עֵינֶיךָ
- You shall write them on the doorposts of your house – וּכְתַבְתָּם עַל-מְזֻזוֹת בֵּיתֶךָ
- and on your gates – וּבִשְׁעָרֶיךָ
These verses have great importance in the Torah and those who say them completely twice a day, he is blessed and praised because the Holy Name sanctified properly in his mouth.
We studied many times about the power and significance of the Shema prayer. It would be beneficent for everyone to learn by heart at least the first paragraph that include the ten precepts as Rabbi Shimon explained above.
Shema Israel links:
Video with Shema Israel in slow reading for studying and memorizing.
I just noticed that the length of the video is 5:46. 546 is the numerical value of the word Israel ישראל. It’s 541 + 5 for the letters. 546 is also the numerical value of al the initial letters of the 10 Sefirot כחבחגתנהימ.